Friday, July 16, 2010

Oui, Oui!

My wonderful friend Kate likes holidays. Most holidays. Nope, all holidays. American or not! She's also very patriotic and loves red, white and blue. She got us all excited about Bastille Day (July 14) and invited all the girls over for brie cheese, wine, champagne, etc. I love Kate's enthusiasm for holidays. A LOT. So I got on board.

I decided to make a dessert. Truffles. So I googled "easy truffle recipe". One popped up. I also thought it might be fun to make little french flags to put in the truffles. (**I don't care what anybody thinks about France, I'm indifferent and I like crafts, so zip it) I decided to make the flags first, thinking the truffles wouldn't take too long.

In Word, I made some little french flags and then printed them out. I gathered some toothpicks and some scrapbooking double-sided adhesive tape. I cut out the flags and left a little extra white paper on the side next to the blue part of the flag. I put the tape on that part and then wrapped it around a toothpick.

Success!

So I made 24 more.

When they were finished, I gathered all the materials that I would need for the truffles. Most important: the cookbook macbook with the recipe.

My sous chef was ready to lend a hand.

My favorite part of the recipe was blending together cream cheese and confectioners sugar. Mmmm. I could eat it all day.

Then I melted 3 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave (not cool enough for a picture) and added it to the cream cheese/sugar mixture. It started to thicken immediately and definitely had what I would call a "truffly" texture.

Now time to gather the fun toppings in which to roll the truffles. I had a bag of sliced almonds (they were on sale) so I grabbed the magic bullet and pulverized them.

Success!

Then I gathered cocoa, coconut and more confectioners sugar.

At Michael's, I found some red and blue baking cups! I lined the traveling tupperware with them.

My first truffles!!

Viva la truffles.
Truffle Recipe:


Easy Decadent Truffles

Prep Time:
1 Hr
Ready In:
1 Hr

Original Recipe Yield 5 dozen


Ingredients
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until well blended. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla until no streaks remain. Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Shape into 1 inch balls.

Footnotes

  • Roll truffles in ground walnuts (or any ground nuts), cocoa, coconut, confectioners' sugar, candy sprinkles, etc.
  • To flavor truffles with liqueurs or other flavorings, omit vanilla. Divide truffle mixture into thirds. Add 1 tablespoon liqueur (almond, coffee, orange) to each mixture; mix well.

1 comment:

  1. Three things.

    1. I want to eat all of these truffles and smear them all over my face.
    2. Phebe is getting so big!
    3. I want your Pyrex rooster bowls. Matt's mom is going to some huge antique festival/fair/party thing soon and I have her on the lookout. So just know that I'm going to be copying you really soon.

    ReplyDelete