Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Happy New Year!

This post is so cheesy. Or is it?

The end of the summer is always a time of change for teachers (and everyone, probably, in some form or another). The school year for us is a fresh start. It's a time of renewal. It's a time to try different things. It's a time of renewed excitement for why we chose our profession. Pencils are sharpened. Most times, the air starts to change a little. Maybe it gets cooler. Classrooms get set up... chairs are set out and tables are clear... A brand new set of students will show up in my classroom on Sept. 7. It truly is a fresh start...

I kind of feel like 2010 has been quite a journey of change for me. Tumultuos fo' sho' but also amazing and wonderful.

I am starting to get melancholy and waxing poetic because my fantastic, relaxing summer is ending.

I was listening to this song tonight...

**you're welcome for the little sneak peek of Taye Diggs. My love for him will be another post**


And I couldn't help but Really listen to the words...

525, 600 minutes.
525,000 moments so dear.
525, 600 minutes... how do you measure a year?

In daylight? In sunsets? In sunsets? In cups of coffee?
In inches? In miles? In laughter? In strife?
In 525, 600 minutes, how do You measure a year in the life?

How about: Love?
Seasons of love.

And it got me thinking? How do I measure my years?

I have to step back and wonder first: When does a Year even start? For me, the "new year" doesn't start in January. It starts in September. I always thought that was because that's when school started. And since I turned 5 (on the first day of Kindergarten, mind you), every September meant a new year. But it's also my birthday. September 2. I turn a year older. I LITERALLY start a new year.

Year 28 has been an especially tumultuous one.

The first season (Fall) was incredibly tough. I would definitely measure that season in "strife". Maybe even a little "pity". Some "protection" and "frustration" in there. I might even be so bold as to say "misery". And a dash of (probably suppressed but still in there) "gratefulness" for the friends and family who supported me through that tough season and start of my year. They knew deep down the other seasons would be easier.

The second season (Winter) started even worse than Fall, but about a month in, I made some changes in my life. I would measure that season in "determination". I worked hard against all my natural no-self-control instincts. I made some positive life changes-- diet, outlook, attitude-- and winter ended with my time measured in pounds of "gratefulness" for the friends who "whewed" because the tough seasons were ending. And maybe it ended in "pride" because I was actually doing what I wanted to do-- which was begin to make myself healthier inside and out.

The third season (Spring) was absolutely measured in "laughter". I finally felt like myself again in the spring. I could be silly and happy and fun. I could enjoy other people and sometimes I think they enjoyed me. The dark clouds and gloomy weather were behind me in other seasons. Spring ushered in "renewal" and "appreciation" and "regret" and "high spirits".

The fourth season (Summer) has been the best season yet. I'm measuring it in "inches" and "miles" and "daylight" and "midnights" and "time". I got to snuggle with my dog inches away from me in the sleepy summer mornings. I drove and traveled miles and miles this summer to see friends and family and have adventures. I got to spend my daylights however I wanted, with no job dictating when I had to be somewhere. I saw every midnight in the summer because I stayed up late enjoying the fact that I could. I had Time. So much time. I truly feel like I had enough time this summer. I've never been able to say that before. This season truly refreshed me and it makes me feel like I might have a great next year... being able to start it so renewed.

It's time for another year. It's time for the first season. Next week is September and my birthday and back to school. Happy New Year!! I'm not sure how I'll measure my year this year. But I'll be sure to stop and reflect and look and remember each season. How will you measure your seasons? Even if you can't answer that now... try after each season.

But one thing's for sure... make sure you measure each season with Love. Sept. 2010- Sept. 2011.




3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. It's definitely true, too, how we teachers measure our years according to the school year. How fortunate we are to have a profession that allows us a new start, a fresh start, each year. It's one of the things I just adore about teaching.

    Best wishes as you begin a new year. (And many thanks for being there for me during my "fall" that happened during summer. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be your friend through every tough season. It's just how it goes! <3

    ReplyDelete