Thursday, October 15, 2009

Kristy, Claudia, Mary Anne, Stacy, Dawn, Jessi, and Mallory. Period.


The Babysitters Club!

We were obsessed with it. I was obsessed with those books FAR LONGER than I should have been. I used to practice their different handwriting styles. I used to write "my own" Babysitters Club books. It's a wonderful series with rich characters and it calls out to tween girls.

The first Baby-sitters Club book was published in August of 1986, and "Kristy's Great Idea" was shared with many girls world wide. (scholastic.com)

BUT NOW, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, this generation's obsession with easiness has forced this iconic series to update itself.

Introducing.... The Babysitters Club "GRAPHIC NOVEL".

Graphic Novels are the "latest" way to force children to stop using their imagination to envision characters and situations.



Being a teacher, I understand that sometimes you have to "inspire" children to read. But I'm also a firm believer in imagination. Imagine.

I am not the biggest fan of these because I can only imagine that much of the details have to be cut out to make room for the graphics/cartoons, but I Will give them credit for keeping the words in the book and not just making it into a cartoon television show.

While on the subject, the phrase "graphic novel" sounds a little bit too much like suggestive adult material. Sigh.

Say hello to your friends... Babysitters Club...

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I have professional development on using graphic novels in the classroom tomorrow.

    Maybe I'll learn their value there.

    By the way, isn't the term "graphic novel" just a euphemism for "comic book." Is this an attempt on the part of nerdy boys to make themselves seem more mature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably! But not in the Babysitters Club arena. :) They have graphic novels for a lot of books... please share your findings.

    And that crazy balloon chase is still all over the news!!

    ReplyDelete