Friday, January 28, 2011

Powerless

We were.  In a lot of ways!

So, let me take you back.   It's a lovely Wednesday night.   TONS of snow was falling... and falling fast.

Look at this fun time table:

3:15-  I'm doing dishes in the kitchen and hear the sleet start to fall on our skylight.  Then I thought I saw lightning.  Shook my head, thinking it was just a light in our kitchen flickering.  Then I heard the thunder.  THUNDER!?  Thunder and sleet?

3:30- The sleet got harder.  And bigger.  And it was still thundering.

3:45- Lou gets home from work (they sent her home early, thank goodness!)   She told me they were calling it "thundersnow" at her office.

4:00- the Snow starts.  It starts coming down FAST

4:30- already an inch and a half on the cars.

5:00- moving toward 3 inches.   We start to get worried about the boys who live with us who were traveling on the roads.  After a few texts, we learned that they were both already stuck in massive traffic within 5 miles of our house.

6:45- the first boy returns!   He says that people are stuck all over and he's going to help push people and dig them out.  He also says that he had to abandon his car a mile from the house because he couldn't make it up the hills.

6:45- Lou and I decide to go investigate the weather.  It's Crazy snowing!  And a line (we think it's phone, is hanging SO LOW!)


6:50-We literally walk down to the end of our street and happen upon a wayside traveler-- our other roommate!!   He had to abandon his car about a mile away, too, and walk.  We chatted for a minute, then sent him home to get warm while we continued on our walk.

6:45-7:45 Walked. SO cold!  Such crazy traffic and bossy humans we saw!
 the next 3 are phone pictures because my camera died.  Lovely.




7:45- back home with a frozen dog (my bad!!)  Got warm, got comfy, watched the crazy traffic on route 50 out our window and whatever was on tv.

11:30- all in the living room, hanging.   BOOM! zzt.  No lights anymore.  That kind of spooky quiet.  Naturally, we looked at our neighbors.  Out front- dark as we were.  Behind us-- lights and warmth.  MAN!   It was a cold night, but pup and I were warm as can be under the down comforter.

Thursday Day was a different story.  Lots of digging cars out provided some heat for awhile.  Then I built a fire, did my report cards in front of it.  At one point, Phebe had had Enough and gave me a Look. Here are some pics and video of my day...

The laptop still had some juice, so I watched a movie that arrived from Netflix.  Yes, it was Pride and Prejudice.  Yes, I love that movie.  Yes, I cried.
 The Look:
This was my little situation.  And sorry for the gratuitous dog footage.  But her little face was so sweet, I couldn't stop filming until she needed some snuggles.

What's better than a dog falling asleep?  (or possibly dying from the cold, just kidddding)


I went out for a little while at 5:00 (with LOTS of guilt for leaving my puppy in the 57 degree house), but when I got home at 6:20, WE HAD POWER!!!    Whew... back to everything I love about warmth and tv and cooking and my computer and warmth.  And warmth.

:)



No comments:

Post a Comment