Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day: The Perfect "Summer" Day

Memorial Day for the past two years has meant one thing: WORK. I managed a pool so two summers in a row, it was a crazy weekend of making sure things were running smoothly at the pool.

This year... oh my. It started quietly. Well, it started early. Very early. Phebe was at Joy's house for the weekend (I went to NC Sat-Sun to visit family) and I spent the night at Kristin's after the "Celebrating Catie Hackett BBQ". I fell asleep next to Lou and below Kate (she was on the couch). Santana somehow fell asleep in the papasan chair. And now the morning starts.

At 5:45am, Santana almost fell out of the papasan chair. It made a loud, squeaky wood noise. Hilarious in retrospect; minorly annoying in the moment. But we fell back to sleep.

We woke up around 10 and pig-piled in Kristin's bed. Catie, Kate, Caitie (haha, but true), Lou and Kristin. Around 11, Joy arrived with Phebe and the amazing day continued.

We left Pheebs at Kristin's and went to get breakfast at The Original Pancake House. YUM! I got my traditional "Sausage and Eggs" which is 3 buttermilk pancakes, 4 turkey sausage links and a giant plate of egg whites. Today I changed it up and ordered fresh-squeezed orange juice. It was so fresh that it had a seed in it. DELISH!

We dropped everyone off, then Joy and I took Phebe to my house. Then... we went... to the Pool! Yes, the pool! Where I am now a member and not a manager. It was SO awesome to see everyone from last summer (especially my guardloves) and to tell them that I am a member now. Several of my "regulars" said, "we are so glad you can drink with us now!" Haha. We were there from about 2:30-5:00. The water was great and the sun was hot and bright. The pool was PACKED but I didn't have to worry about anything, so I was sooo relaxed.

We left the pool at 5:00 because we were hungry and Joy is eating for two. :) We went to one of my favorite places: "Frozen Dairy Bar and Boardwalk Pizza" in Falls Church (very close to the pool!). We each had a slice of pizza, then got yummmmy summery frozen custard with candy toppings. I had my vanilla with reese's pieces. We were sitting there, eating our ice cream, wearing our bathing suits and cover ups and feeling very summery!
Family and a lot of friends... It was my favorite Memorial Day Weekend in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment